Thursday, September 13, 2007

 

Very Exciting News


Well, our big news arrived sooner than I thought. But it's all good!

Monday night after we returned from vacation, the Community Theater Group in Wayne was holding open auditions for A Christmas Carol. Olivia, Philip, and Nathanael all wanted to go to try out. It didn't take much effort on their part to convince me to take them. As a bonus, I thought it would be fun if I auditioned with them.

We showed up at the State Wayne Theater on Monday evening. The tryouts went very well for all of us. Angie, the director, told us that we were welcome and encouraged to come back the next night and read again as it couldn't hurt to be up in front of the production staff as often as possible. So, we all went back on Tuesday night. By the time we were done on Tuesday, we had a pretty strong feeling that we were being considered for various members of the Chratchet family.

Callbacks were Wednesday night, and after we got home on Tuesday, we received a phone call inviting us all back the following evening. Needless to say, we were delighted and enthusiastic.

The next night, we returned to find that we really didn't have much to do. It was obvious that Angie was still considering the kids for the Cratchet roles, but it eventually dawned on me that I had been called back only because the kids were. I read only a couple of times for Scrooge, but it was mainly to help out other actors that were being considered for other parts. I was kind of a designated actor, sitting in when someone needed a person to read with. This was either very good (meaning Angie already knew which part I was getting) or very bad (meaning I wasn't going to get cast). Before we broke up for the night, Angie told us that if we had received roles, we would be called by 8:00 PM Thursday night.

We all went home, excited and a little bit nervous. I was mostly afraid that some but not all of the kids would be selected. I REALLy hated the idea of tackling that disappointment. We had experienced something similar when both Olivia and Philip had auditioned for Peter Pan.

About 45 minutes after we arrived home, the phone rang. I didn't recognize the number, and I felt a little excited and nervous as I picked it up. It was Angie. Although she had said she wouldn't call until the next night, she wanted to tell us the news right away. We had all been cast as the Cratchet clan. I received the role of Bob Cratchet, Scrooge's perpetually put upon clerk. Olivia was awarded the role of Belinda Cratchet, Philip was cast as Peter Cratchet, and last but certainly not least, Nathanel was given the all-important part of Tiny Tim.

Wow. I'm still shocked and delighted by this marvelous news!!!!

God bless us! Every one!!!

Comments:
And to think I 'knew' you before you became famous.

Or should that be infamous !

Congratulations. I expect Tony nominations at the very least.

Ian
 
How cool!

Hey it is awesome to see ya blogging again. I missed reading your stories!
 
Katie will be playing a couple of different parts in the church production of A Christmas Carol, so she will be anxious to compare notes with all of you, I'm sure. She is playing Scrooge's sister in one scene (I didn't even know he had a sister) and a couple of other assorted bit parts. Her production is a musical - is yours too?

Mark
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter