Thursday, March 08, 2007

 

One of the Seventy


If you're familiar with my Blog, you know well that one of my major trials over the past few months has been the drastic reduction in salaried headcount that has been going on for the past several months at my employer, Ford Motor Company. This all started back in September, and it continued on until the end of February. At that point, everyone who opted to voluntarily leave the company had accepted their buyout and the rest of us waited to see if the number of people leaving had reached the stated goal of a 30% reduction. If it didn't firings (or "involuntary separations") would be necessary.

This week, our management held a flurry of mandatory cascade meetings to make some important announcements involving the company's Way Forward Plan. Mine was this afternoon at 4:15. The gist of the meeting was summed up in a brief, scripted statement read by the manager conducting the meeting -

As part of the Way Forward actions taken, it is the belief of management that IT has achieved its target of a 30% reduction in salaried headcount. At this time, it is anticipated that NO involuntary separations would be necessary at this time.

Translation: None of us sitting in that room were part of the 30%. Each of us was one of the 70.

The room broke into spontaneous applause.

It doesn't seem real. After all these weeks of living such a stressful situation, the release isn't there yet. I should be happy, and I think I will be happy. But my heart hasn't caught up to my mind yet, I guess.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to encourage me and pray for me during these past few months. Your support means more to me than I can express in these few words on a blog. It's wonderful to have such loving friends and family.

I also want to thank my Lord, who stood by me, giving me peace and strength throughout. Thank you, God, for taking such good care of me.

Comments:
Yahooooooooo!

I am sooooo happy! The Lord does work!

Tim, Congrads! I am actually smiling and laughing right now reading this because it is just more proof of how much our Lord loves us and protects us!

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Jackie
 
So HE doesn't love the 30% then, is that how it works ?
 
Ian,

I'm not sure how you got that from what I wrote. With respect, please go back and re-read it. I thanked God for giving me peace and strength throughout this whole ordeal. I also thanked Him for taking care of me. I don't see how that translates into Him being unloving towards the 30% who chose voluntarily to leave the company. I'm sure that there were a good number of Christians among those folks as well, and I'm sure that God took care of them and continues to take care of them. It's just that He had something different for them than He did for me. I'm not seeing how that means that He's unloving towards them, however.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter