Friday, March 02, 2007

 

Birthday Bonanza


Today is a welcome day off of work for me. On the schedule are birthdays for two of my sons - Nathanael and Christopher. Than's was yesterday, and Christopher will be celebrating tomorrow.

We kicked off this three day celebration yesterday with cake and ice cream for Than as well as the traditional gift openings. Normally, I always take a child's birthday off as a vacation day. The normal birthday begins with breakfast out with Dad a local diner and a special day with a family activity of the birthday child's choice. This time out, it's a little different. Christopher and Nathanael put their heads together and decided that they wanted Mom and me to spring for an afternoon of laser tag. Since this is a bit of a pricey choice, they agreed to combine their birthday celebrations into one event. I agreed to treat the whole family to an afternoon of gaming at Zap Zone. We decided that today would be the day for that event, so I decided to work on Than's actual birthday and take today off instead.

This morning, my fine 9-year-old and I ate oatmeal and toast at the corner restaurant down the street from us, Mema's Munchies. (Look, I'm trying to eat sensibly because I'm an old guy whose trying to stay healthy and keep the weight off. I have no idea what his excuse is for ordering like that.) Right now, we're loafing around the house, generally relaxing, playing computer games, watching TV, and enjoying some really nice downtime. This afternoon, at about 2:00 PM, the Butler clan is going to head up to Canton's Zap Zone, strap on laser vests, and try to kill each other with guns.

The family that slays together, stays together.

Tomorrow is Christopher's turn for the royal treatment. He has asked to have his B-Day breakfast at Golden Corral, on of our local all-you-eat joints. (So much for my eating sensibly. The menu will be made to order omelettes, french toast, pancakes, waffles. Ugh. And that's all on my plate. Hey, you have to really shovel it in at one of these places. I have an MBA, and I can tell you that the more you eat, the lower your fixed cost per forkful.) Later that evening, I may have digested enough to fit in cake and ice cream. And of course, Chris will tear into his gifts.

Not by coincidence, tomorrow will also be something of a somber day. I think I'll wait until then to write about it.

Below is a picture of last night's birthday boy!!!!


Comments:
The family that slays together, stays together.
Too FUNNY!

Jackie
 
Thanks, Jackie. You are such a faithful reader!!!!!
 
Happy birthdays, guys.

Go easy on the old man tomorrow. After that breakfast he'll be a bit sluggish and an easy target !!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter