Tuesday, December 19, 2006

 

The Return of Christmas


A little over one week since Ford asked me to take a lot of money in exchange for getting out of Dodge, and I am doing fine. Actually, better than fine. I am feeling incredibly blessed.

To be sure, last week was terrible. I went through so many emotional ups and downs. One minute, I was overwhelmed by the opportunities that might come my way if I took the buyout offer and switched jobs. Maybe even start an entirely new career. The next minute, I was down in the dumps and trying to fight off depression as I thought of the future without the stability of working at a large company (WHAT STABILITY?????), maybe not being able to find a job that paid enough to support my family, and the possibility of transitioning home to being a fulltime homeschooling dad while my wife went back into nursing to be the provider for the family.

At those moments, I felt like shedding a few tears. (And sometimes did.) One particular moment that almost drove me to the edge was when I came home from work and was greeted by Aidan's smiling, loving face. As looked at my beautiful boy, I thought about how much he depended on me and how terrible it would be to come home and tell Rita and the kids that I had been fired.

Last week, I didn't know how I would be able to get through Christmas, let alone to the end of February.

But the grace of God and some good solid prayer has turned so many things around. I realized how much I was NOT trusting God. Sure, I could still lose my job. That could happen at anytime. But He is my provider, not the company I work for. And if I do lose my job, landing me another one is nothing compared to the work He did on the cross to secure my salvation. What's the greater miracle - getting me saved or getting me a job? Then why am I not trusting Him? If I end up as a house husband, is that a greater sacrifice than Christ made for me? Then why am I afraid to make that sacrifice for my family? I'm called to lay down my life for them, so trading my job for fulltime work at home raising the kids sounds like a pretty good deal to me compared to the alternative. What message am I giving God when I fret about my kids and my ability to provide for them? Aren't I saying, "God, I love these kids more than You do because I would never leave them without provision and You would"?

What a tiny, pathetic thing my faith is. He's done so much for me and continues to do so much everyday, and yet I worry that He will one day decide to forget about me and forsake me.

Believe me, any prayers sent my way are sooooooo appreciated. I know that there are any number of areas where I could be tested in the coming weeks that would threaten to beat me down. But for now, I am resting in Him, and He is giving me incredible peace.

Last week, I couldn't see myself making it through Christmas with anything but depression and discouragement. Now, I say - BRING IT ON! I am pumped for an awesome holiday celebration. Far from being a dreary downer, I'm hoping that this will be the greatest Christmas I've ever had!


Comments:
Tim,
It is soo encouraging to read this. Ya know, sometimes I feel like I am the only one who doubts God and his glory. Now I realize that it is a struggle that every Christian may have.
I am still praying for you and the family!
God Bless all of you!
And have a beautiful Christmas!
Happy Birthday Jesus!

Jackie
 
Jackie,

You are definitely not the only doubter out there. In fact, you are in great company. Perhaps the best example is right out of the Bible - John the Baptist. He spent his entire life preparing the way for the Lamb of God. Sacrificed everything. Lived in the wilderness eating bugs. Then, when he was in prison and near the end of his life. His resolve cracked. He sent his followers out to ask Jesus, "Are you really the Son of God for whom I've spent my entire life preparing the way?" Fortunately, John set a great example for us. What did he do with his doubt? He took it to Jesus. How did Jesus respond? He said that of all those who had been born of woman, there was none greater than John the Baptist. John wasn't condemned because he doubted, and he was rewarded for taking his doubt to Christ.

Don't feel bad if you are tempted to doubt. Fight it by taking it to the foot of the cross!!!!

God bless you.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter