Thursday, December 21, 2006

 

A Little Christmas Ritual


There's a little something that I do everyday during the Christmas season, and this year, it's become very important to me. I roll out of bed around 5:30 AM during the week, and I'm out the door before 6:00, heading for the fitness center. The last thing I do before I leave the house is I light the Christmas tree and get the Christmas carol CDs playing on the stereo. All other lights in the downstairs are out. The only illumination comes from the soft, colored lights of the tree and my village display across the fireplace mantle.

The reason I do this is because when the kids stagger downstairs and spend a few minutes dozing on the couch before they start their day, I want the first thing they see to be the tree in all its glory. I want them to hear the Christmas carols. I've done this for a while, but I didn't think it mattered until Phil told me at the beginning of Advent that one of his favorite things to do is to get up early and look at my Christmas village. He likes to imagine the lives of the people who live there as they come alive in his mind and go about their holiday affairs.

It blesses me, too, I have to admit. As I'm ready to leave the house, I take a few seconds and enjoy the atmosphere of the family room. It's like an idyllic Christmas. A Christmas fantasy. The tree, beautiful with it's gorgeous array of lights. The village, lit up on the bookshelf and across the mantle. The fireplace with all of our stockings hung up and waiting for Christmas Eve. Everyday, I'm tempted to just take off my coat, grab a nice, hot cup of coffee, and step into that room. Forget about work. Just cross that threshold and drink in the Christmas ambience. Enjoy the peace and quiet and lose myself in such a joyful place.

But, I have to go to work. As I'm leaving, I promise myself that someday soon when I don't have to go to the office, I'm going to get out of bed early and spend some quality time in the family room.

Right about the time that I step out the back door and get hit by the brisk morning air, reality grabs hold of me. There's no stinkin' way I'm getting up at 5:30 AM on my day off when I can sleep in under my nice, warm covers. Am I nuts or something?

Oh well, it's a nice fantasy.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter