Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 

Happy Birthday, Aidan!!!


Yesterday was Aidan's third birthday. Hard to believe that it was already three years ago that Rita did the unthinkable - gave birth to a son in our own bed. The place that I rest my head at night. Wow. I narrowly missed delivering my own baby. That was close. But the real harrowing part of the entire affair came after Rita and healthy, happy Aidan were hauled off to the emergency room by the firemen who actually carried out the delivery - THE CLEAN UP!

For those of you men who have not had the pleasure of your wife "dropping a punk" (that's an expression that I've just invented for unexpectedly giving birth to a baby in your own home) on the nice clean sheets of your bed late at night, I have a word of advice for you - make sure you're in the ambulance when it pulls away from the curb. Leave the clean up to someone else. If there's no one else who can do it, sell the house. If that won't work, invest in hazmat gear. Trust me on this.

Yesterday was an all around great day. I took the day off of work, and Aidan and I went to breakfast in the morning. (I do this with all the kids on their birthday, starting at age 3. So, this was the lad's introduction to the tradition of Birthday Breakfast with Daddy.) We had a great time despite the fact that our meal would seem pretty bland to the uninitiated. (We each had a bowl of oatmeal. I'm trying to watch my weight. I have no idea what his excuse was.) From there, we picked up the rest of the family and made a visit to our local Chuck E. Cheese for around 3 hours of token pumping, video game induced joy. That night, we had the usual cake feast and gift opening. Everything was fine, although there was a prevailing mood of grumpiness from the kids towards the end of the day. (Too much sugar or not enough sleep. Not sure which.)

Happy Birthday, Aidan! You are a great kid!!!

Here's some pictures from the big day -




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter