Monday, July 31, 2006

 

Breakfast at Tiffany's




Last Sunday after church, we got to spend one of those nice, rare, idyllic afternoons when there's nothing really going on. All the boys were playing computer games in other parts of the house. It was a nice day, but some unexpected storm clouds moved in and ended any chance of spending time outdoors. So, Rita, Olivia, and I settled down and watched Breakfast at Tiffany's on Turner Classic Movies.

This was not the first viewing of this classic love story for me. Quite some time ago, I sat down by myself to watch it. (This was after Rita and I were married but before we had children.) I remember not liking it very much at all. Audrey Hepburn, while being a charming little pixie, has always been too rail thin for my tastes, and I've never cared for the character of Holly Golightly. George Peppard was a decent enough leading man. He was handsome and handled the role well with a dash of sadness and vulnerability.

Now, confession time - I really, really enjoy a good romantic movie. Not chick flicks, mind you. I don't usually go for superficial, "boy meets girl" stuff. I found Sleepless in Seattle to be pretty annoying. But a good, solid romantic movie can be very moving for me. And a tragic romantic movie, where there's a big dose of unrequited love or the tear jerking death of one of the lovers can, on occasion, really suck me in. I remember really liking Somewhere in Time the first time I saw it. (It hasn't stood up well under repeated viewings, however.) I found Titanic to be a very moving experience, despite the fact that I consider Leonardo Dicaprio to be pretty irritating. (Maybe if Leonardo's character could have been transplanted into Billy Zane's body, the movie would have been better.) Casablanca was magnificent. The timeless sacrifice of two lovers putting the safety of the world ahead of their relationship.

But despite this particular bent in my movie-going tastes, I wasn't overly impressed with Breakfast at Tiffany's, despite it's iconic status. It just didn't seem to interest me. The main characters didn't grab my attention, the story wasn't compelling, and the only thing that I remember really enjoying (despite it's inane lyrics) was the popular, Oscar winning song featured in the film, Moon River. (What the heck is a "huckleberry friend" and how could one refer to Moon River as one?)

Well, I really, really enjoyed it on Sunday. I would guess that some movies are naturally better when viewed in the company of others. Also, maybe knowing what to expect from the film defeated the devil of high expectations. (The first time I watched it, I was prepped for one of the best love stories committed to film.) Whatever the reason, it was definitely better than I remembered it. I still didn't care for Hepburn's character, and she still looked malnourished to me. But I found her fear of commitment and plight of self-imposed loneliness a bit more endearing this time around. I found myself admiring Peppard's Paul Varjak during this viewing. (That might be because he had a full head of hair, as did I the first time I watched this movie.) The City of New York, the setting of the film, seemed a more engaging and enjoyable place to be. The winsome day that Holly and Paul spend intentionally doing things that they've never done before was a very fun romp through the streets of the Big Apple, right down to the signature scene when Paul asks the salesman at Tiffany's to have a ring from a box of Cracker Jacks engraved for Holly because it's all they can afford.

Paul: (referring to the toy ring) ACTUALLY, IT WAS PURCHASED CONCURRENT WITH--WELL, ACTUALLY, IT CAME INSIDE A... WELL, A BOX OF CRACKER JACK.
Salesman: I SEE. DO THEY STILL REALLY HAVE PRIZES IN CRACKER JACK BOXES?
Paul: OH, YES.
Salesman: THAT'S NICE TO KNOW. IT GIVES ONE A FEELING OF SOLIDARITY, ALMOST OF CONTINUITY WITH THE PAST, THAT SORT OF THING.

Later, the ring becomes a key plot point at the climax of the movie as Paul, confronting Holly about the emotional prison she's in, uses it to remind her of the wonderful day they'd shared in happier times.

Paul: YOU KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU, MISS WHOEVER-YOU-ARE? YOU'RE CHICKEN. YOU GOT NO GUTS. YOU'RE AFRAID TO SAY,"O.K., LIFE'S A FACT." PEOPLE DO FALL IN LOVE. PEOPLE DO BELONG TO EACH OTHER, BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY CHANCE ANYBODY'S GOT FOR REAL HAPPINESS. YOU CALL YOURSELF A FREE SPIRIT, A WILD THING. YOU'RE TERRIFIED SOMEBODY'S GOING TO STICK YOU IN A CAGE. WELL, BABY, YOU'RE ALREADY IN THAT CAGE. YOU BUILT IT YOURSELF. AND IT'S NOT BOUNDED BY TULIP, TEXAS, OR SOMALILAND. IT'S WHEREVER YOU GO. BECAUSE NO MATTER WHERE YOU RUN, YOU JUST END UP RUNNING INTO YOURSELF. HERE. (He gives her the ring) I'VE BEEN CARRYING THIS THING AROUND FOR MONTHS. I DON'T WANT IT ANYMORE.

A four star movie? Nah, I wasn't that impressed with it. But it was a worthwhile diversion for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter